Monday, May 30, 2016

Memorial Day


"Ask not what you country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." — John F. Kennedy

Memorial Day comes every year. What can you say that has not been said before? Today we remember the men and women who have lost their lives in the service of our country, fighting for our freedom.

This year Memorial Day has taken a deeper meaning for me. My sweet son and I spent Sunday afternoon visiting our local National Cemetery. I have been to National Cemeteries before, for a funeral and visiting Washington D.C. Looking at the rows of neatly arranged tombstones it always hits me how many men and women have served our country, but never more than today.
When you look up the hill, you see countless tombstones in their straight even rows. There were many families wandering through the rows, praying, crying, and saying goodbye once again. There were some families like us walking through paying our respects to the ones who have given it all. Many of the men and women buried here fought in wars long ago and made it home. Some gave their lives young, well before their time.
As we drove up to the cemetery, the drive was lined with our beautiful flag. The first thing we did was go to the visitor center building. From there you can see the Memorial Wall and the large flag. Across the street was the Memorial Walk. As we were about to cross the street, we met an older gentleman. He was trying to figure out where he needed to go to find his wife's ashes. The only other time he had been there was when her ashes were interred. My son and I, helped him scour the map to show him where to go. The reasons people are here vary widely.
I had been moved to tears multiple times as we walked. On our journey, we encountered a woman, sitting on the ground in front of a wall where ashes are interred. I felt a gentle internal nudge to stop, and if you know me you will know how hard it was to obey this nudge; I do not typically approach strangers. The woman was sobbing uncontrollably. I don't know who she mourns; I don't know how they died. We stopped and asked if we could sit with her and pray with her. She said we could. Logan and I sat with her and prayed. She grabbed my hand as I prayed, taking what comfort she could. After we prayed we just sat for a while in silence.  
Later, as we were walking through the graves there was an older woman standing alone. She was softly crying. I felt another tug at my heart to stop. We approached and I felt led to give her a hug. I asked if I could give her a hug and pray with her. Her response was "Yes, please." I hugged her and we prayed with her. She was so glad that someone stopped. Her husband had been buried one year ago that day. He was in the Navy. He made it home from war, to spend years with his family. Her grief was great for the love she lost.  
The National Cemetery provided an eye opening experience. As we drove the 45 minutes home, we had profound conversation about what Memorial Day is all about and why we remember the ones who gave their all for our freedom. Take today and remember all that has been lost, all that our soldiers and sailors have given for our freedom. Everyday be grateful for their willingness to die for our freedom. Remember the family and friends of those that gave the ultimate sacrifice.





“The brave die never, though they sleep in dust: Their courage nerves a thousand living men.” — Minot J. Savage

No comments:

Post a Comment