Friday, May 6, 2016

Accidental Start to My Vintage Dress Collection

Last year we went to visit my in-laws and decided to do a huge photo shoot with everyone. We had never done family pictures with all of us and it would be the last time for a while that everyone could get together. So... we found a photographer, an old friend, and scheduled everything. All that was left was to pick the outfits... And boy was that work.

My sister-in-law and I decided that we wanted to go for blues. So the search began. I didn't own anything blue at the time except one ratty t-shirt. I wanted to wear some kind of dress. I searched every local store, scoured the mall, and I could find nothing I liked, not shirts or dresses. Thus began my internet search. I got on amazon.com and began searching blue dress. One of the dresses I saw was a vintage dress, 50's Rockabilly style. I have always wanted a vintage dress and petticoat for years, but have never wanted to spend the money on a dress I may or may not like. I talked to my husband and we decided that it would be fun for family pictures.

My first vintage dress is by Muxxn. I wound up getting a blue dress with white polka dots and a 26 inch petticoat. It is the perfect combination. The dress is flattering in ways I never expected and it looks great in pictures. I am about 5'6.5" tall and weigh around 135 pounds. The dress has a size chart of its own in the description section on amazon.com because it does not fit with the size chart provided by amazon.com. I ordered my blue dress in a size medium, which is my normal size. It fits great. It is form fitting and the fabric is somewhat stretchy. It is not spandex stretchy, but it does have some stretch to it. The fabric is not a lightweight airy fabric. It is somewhat stiff, which is what I have come to expect from this style of dress.

The 26 inch petticoat is awesome. I have since gotten petticoats of other lengths and different brands, but this one by Tidetell is my favorite. It comes in a mesh bag and is turned inside out and stuffed in. When you turn it right side out there is a lining underneath that feels good against your skin and keeps you from having any scratching from the petticoat. The petticoat adds the perfect amount of fluff to the vintage dress. The dress can be worn without it and looks okay, but adding the petticoat to it makes it stunning.

So, picture day arrived and I donned my dress. It was perfect. I felt pretty, and we all know it is easier to smile for pictures when we feel pretty. Our photographer was wonderful, we had a great shoot. Much to my husband's dismay,this dress became the start of what is now quite a collection of vintage style dresses. One of the last pictures she took that day was me, by myself in the awesome dress... The accidental start to my vintage dress collection.

You can find my vintage dress here. You can find the 26 inch petticoat here, and last but not least, you can find Pretty Little Chappell Photography here.





No comments:

Post a Comment