Monday, August 1, 2016

Planning Our Future

With Popeye, my sailor, home, we have been talking a lot about goals. We are planning for the future. When I say planning I mean financial planning, vacation planning, short-term planning, remodeling, and planning for education. Planning is stressful to me, but it must be done. It has been put off far too long.

Our plans include: 

Paying off debts
Popeye taking online college classes
Saving Money
Tithing and generously giving to charitable organizations that are important to us
Vacations to a few places over the next few years
Being more involved in our church
Remodeling and upgrading things around the house


Some of these goals will really take some work on our part. One of the first things we are doing to make this work, is I am getting a job. I have not worked for many years. When Popeye and I got married I quit my job and moved across the country. I had a hard time finding a new job and then I was sick as a dog and pregnant with Little Bear. I have been privileged to be a stay-at-home-mom these last few years, but the time has come for me to take on a new role in life. I don't know how much money I will make as a stay-at-home mom and freelance writer, but I am working on making it a career. 


Another thing we will be doing is setting down a more strict budget. I really hate budgeting. We have a budget, but it has a lot of wiggle room in it right now. We are going to be more strict about what we spend for fun. Some of that extra "fun" money is going to be put towards debt and savings. 

Popeye will be doing online classes to finish his degree. He has been working hard at it every time he is home long enough to take classes. His degree will help to ensure our financial future many years from now, after his time in the Navy is done. 

We will be giving generously. We already tithe, but I plan to give more generously above and beyond our normal tithe. We will be tithing, giving to mission offerings that speak to our hearts, as well as other non-profit organizations we are fond of. 

Popeye and I are homebodies. We like to do stuff, but we do not really enjoy spending time in large groups of people. We like spending time with our little family. We will be breaking out of our comfort zone more often to join in church events and gatherings. We will be spending more time in fellowship with like minded people. 

And last of all... vacations. They are expensive. We will be saving money specifically for some trips we would like to take. We want to go to the Grand Canyon. It is a long trip from here, no matter how you do it. We would also like to spend a few days exploring Disney World and Orlando. So much to do and so little time and money.

We are already in the midst of remodeling and upgrading some things around the house. We have replaced the kitchen sink and garbage disposal. We ordered flooring for the bathrooms, to replace the nasty carpet. We are working on the yard. We have been looking at new light fixtures and arguing about paint colors. Our home is a work in progress. 

So, our planning has begun. We are a work in progress. I am sure we will slip up on our road to success, but trying is worth something.  




No comments:

Post a Comment