Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Transported Back in Time

My Grandparents on their wedding day in 1946
Today as we were driving down the road, Popeye put on the 40's station. I rarely listen to the Big Band Classics from the 40's, but when I do, I am always transported back in time. No, not to the 1940's, to the 1990's.

In those days, my grandparents had a wonderful screened in porch at their house. We spent a lot of time sitting out there talking, reading, playing, and just relaxing. The town they lived in had an AM radio station that played a lot of music from the 1940's. My grandma would turn his old radio on and the music would transport my Grandma and Grandpa back in time, to the years after the war, to their younger days.

Sometimes they would take my brother and me on their journey through time. Grandma and Grandpa would talk about the good ole days. They would talk about when they were young; the day they met and when they got married. I loved to listen to the history, to their life stories. I wish I would have written more things down. I wish I could have recorded each memory they spoke of.

These times were special for more than the memories they shared with us, Grandma and Grandpa would dance. They danced together and then they danced with us. I remember as a little girl standing on my Grandpa's shoes dancing, whirling around the screened porch, and feeling just like the belle of the ball. As an older child, in middle school or so, I still loved these rare moments where we danced. I am not a dancer and have never been a fan, but the moments of dancing with my grandfather were special. No one cared that I had no rhythm or that I repeatedly stepped on his toes. I felt like a cherished princess in these moments.

I appreciate the moments when I am brought back and can feel the closeness of these sweet moments. The music brings me back to days gone by and a short walk down memory lane with both my memories and theirs.


No comments:

Post a Comment