Wednesday, August 3, 2016

A Magical Moment



We have all seen the homecoming videos where a dad comes home and surprises their kid at school in his uniform or a daughter comes home and surprises her parents at a party. I know I have watched more than I could possibly count and each time they bring tears to my eyes and on my emotional days they can be enough to make me cry, big crocodile tears.

Well, we had our own homecoming recently. Let me tell you something... the truth about homecomings is that they are not all rainbows and sunshine. They are stressful for everyone involved. The planning and the thought that goes into homecoming is ridiculous. The stress and uncertainty that homecomings bring is hard to describe unless you have been there. 

Little Bear and I had been anxiously awaiting homecoming. I had been dreaming of the magical day since before Popeye even left. I did not want him to leave and could hardly wait for his return. 

As the time got closer, I got nervous. For the almost two years we have lived here Popeye has been gone about two thirds of it. He has hardly lived in the house that has become our home and my comfort zone. Little Bear and I do nothing the same way as when Popeye left. Our routine is ours, with Popeye home we knew that would change. 

I was also nervous because I am a very different person than when Popeye left. I am more independent. I have friends, hobbies, and things to do that keep me busy. I didn't know if Popeye would like the new me. I still look the same, but I am different. Popeye was nervous, too, I think. Not that he would ever say it.

In the last few months before Popeye came home I planned the perfect outfit. We made yard signs and signs to take to homecoming. We cleaned house. We did yard work. We made plans for when he would be here in our home again.

And then NOT a thing went as planned. Homecoming ended up getting scheduled for the middle of the night. I did not wear the dress I bought for it. I wore jeans and a nice shirt. It was dark when he got home so our signs and yard decorations were not well lit. Little Bear ran around in the heat and got all gross and sweaty while we waited.

Even with all the things that went differently than we had hoped.... It was magic. It was our own kind of magic. I won the raffle for first kiss and Popeye was the first one off the plane. Seeing his smiling face was glorious. It made all the messed up plans and the stress and anxiety melt away. As we got to each other, that first hug was blissful. The first kiss... enchanting. Everything was in place. We were back to a family of three, just the way God meant for us to be. 

In the weeks since homecoming we have had frustration and arguments. Homecoming is not easy. We have all changed and grown. The adjustments have been difficult, but it is great. The magic has worn off and we are back to real life and trying to settle into a routine, but we are oh so grateful to be together again for a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment