Monday, November 14, 2016

Ten Years

As a wee lass, ten years seemed like forever. I could not wait to be sixteen so I could drive. Then, I was waiting to be eighteen so I could buy lottery tickets and after eighteen I was waiting for twenty-one. Time could not move fast enough in those days.

Now that I am an old lady time seems to fly by. The last ten years have gone by with amazing speed. During the last ten years, I got my first real job. My divorce was finalized. I got married to Popeye. Then, Little Bear was born. 

I never knew how time would fly by and I would be looking back wondering where all those years have gone, but here I sit wondering how time passed by so quickly. This year marks ten years of Popeye's career. 

Popeye's job is hard. Some days it is because the work is hard and other times it is because being away from his family is hard. He misses out on a lot of family time. He misses school plays, birthdays, holidays, and just life. While Popeye is deployed we don't get to put life on hold. We cannot press pause on Little Bear growing up. We cannot stop time to wait for our anniversary. It's hard, on Popeye and on Little Bear and I. 

The hardships make the easy times sweeter than ever. The times when Popeye is home we cherish more. We relish in the time we spend together. I don't have the heart to count how much time we have missed out on during our marriage, but I know that the time we spend together is worth so much more. Absence really does make the heart grow fonder. 

So, here's to you Popeye... Happy Ten Years! You make us proud daily with the sacrifices you make. You sacrifice your time and energy to protect the freedoms we hold most dear. Thank you for your sacrifices and thank you for your service!

No comments:

Post a Comment