Friday, June 10, 2016

A Poem that Speaks to My Heart

The last two years have been hard on our family. Life has changed completely for us. We moved across the country. Little Bear finished first grade this year. Papa Bear went from always being home to being out of town a lot. I went from feeling like I had a purpose in life and jobs to do all the time taking care of Little Bear day in and day out and cooking big meals for our family of three. When we moved, school started and Papa Bear's work trips started, I felt like I hardly knew myself. I didn't know what to do with my time alone. I didn't know who I was or how to go about life without my normal routine and jobs.

Then, I accidentally stumbled upon this poem on FaceBook. I cannot find the exact source of this poem. The internet attributes it to Corrie ten Boom or Anonymous. No matter who wrote it, I love it.

Life is but a Weaving
by Corrie ten Boom

My life is but a weaving
Between my God and me
I cannot chose the colors
He weaveth steadily.

Oft' times he weaveth sorrow;
And I in foolish pride
Forget he sees the upper
And I the underside.

Not 'til the loom is silent
And the shuttles cease to fly
Will God unroll the canvas
And reveal the reason why.

The dark threads are as needful
In the weaver's skillful hand
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned.

He knows, He loves, He cares;
Nothing this truth can dim.
He gives the very best to those
Who leave the choice to Him.


This poem really spoke to my heart. Corrie ten Boom had a much harder life than I do. She had been through things I cannot even imagine. With everything she had been through she had faith that because she loved the Lord things would work for His good.

I don't weave, but I embroider. This same theory applies to embroidery. The front of pieces are lovely, but the backs can be a mess. What I see as a mess in my life can turn into a beautiful picture.

These last two years I have read and reread this poem many times. It reminds me of God's faithfulness. He is faithful in all things. There may be changes in life and hardship, but he will see us through. He will see us through countless separations, illness, changes in life and routines, and trying to figure out who we are. Even though I see a mess, He has a plan for that mess and the final results will be worth the troubles. I am so thankful for God's plan, whatever it may be.



No comments:

Post a Comment